Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Lady Gaga's Bad Bangkok Romance

[caption id="attachment_11176" align="alignleft" width="212"] Photo Credit: omg! from YAHOO[/caption]

January 1st 2011 (1.1.11) at The Hilton, I asked a friend over martini and repetitive ra-ra-roma-ma- ma-oh-la-la, 'what's that song and who sang it?'

Out of curiosity I would have watched Lady Gaga's concert Friday night At Rajamangala Stadium if the bleachers had not run out. Thai Ticket Major Central Bangna branch offered me what's left, and I get to choose which among the 7,000 baht-seats I would pay for to stand. That's right: to stand. I went, "what? 7000 baht to stand while some pop artist  screams in my face?"

I resisted calling a student whose company organizes concerts and has connections with tickets to every major concert in the kingdom. She did it successfully for me at the Eagles concert in 2011. Somehow with this Lady Gaga thing I decided it's not worth making calls. And now I'm glad I'm finding affirmation for my reasons why I decided so.

Take a look at her tweet
"I just landed in Bangkok baby! Ready for 50,000 screaming Thai monsters. I wanna get lost in a lady market and buy fake Rolex."

It is said that she is 'stirring nationalist fervor in Thailand, where people tend to get upset when the country's seedy underworld is highlighted by outsiders.'

Just like black people who may call each other nigga, that's not a problem. But if you're not nigga and you call someone black a nigga, that's a different story.

News surrounding her Born This Way Ball are on her 'provocative lyrics and costumes' which have angered Christian groups in South Korea and the Philippines and Islamists in Indonesia.'

I personally do not have issues with the state of her lyrics and costumes, and any impact they could have done on me. Bangkok University has made sure her graduate students know how to analyze and evaluate social events. It's good to watch from the sidelines and pick a favorite 'monster' reaction from a fan -
Welcome to the land of counterfeit products, love. I'm sure there are plenty of fake Gaga CDs, too.

The heck there are. But I'll pass those up even if they are free. My money is getting spent, like it has been, on time-tested quality entertainment - ballet and opera.

15 comments:

  1. nagwoworld tour ba si Lady Gaga? I really want to watch her concert but mahal ng ticket :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. much hoopla has been surrounding Lady Gaga since day one, but i guess it is part of the territory, her looks + controversial lyrics scream for attention. oh well, those of us who have better things to do with our time + money are luckier + i would really love to give opera + ballet a shot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so. Cheer up Lhyzie, you could find more wholesome entertainment elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truthfully, I like her music but not her style. I like that she has the personality that goes with her music but I'm not agreeing with most of her fashion statements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's like that so there's nothing more to expect from her. She got her own style and though she has fans, I'm not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Masyado lng sigurong makabayang ang mga taga Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AGREE AKO KAY LIZZIE. GRABE OKAY NAMAN MGA KANTA NYA KASO MINSAN YUNG PANANAMIT NYA AY DI NA MAGANDA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not really a fan of gaga but I listen to her songs, she has unique songs but the videos are super super RPG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skip the counterfeit (Lady Gaga), go for the original (Madonna). "Don't go for second best, baby." :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was not able to watch her concert in Mall of Asia Arena, napaka mahal ng ticket,

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just like to listen to her songs yet i do not want to see her perform, it's odd maybe i am too naive to see how she dresses hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. not a fan of her but my little daughter is:) i would rather watch taylor swift haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lady Gaga's one of those people that you either really love or really hate. Unfortunately, I'm the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. not really fascinated by her.. well maybe I'm not so young to appreciate her music and look :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. high five! same sentiments here except that I find the lyrics to her song really nonsense, I stopped even knowing what they're about :/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...