Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ughten

Experienced an ughten recently?

Sunrise over Stonehenge on the summer solstice...


Ughten, an obscure word, means morning twilight, according to The Phrontistery.

The last time (and first time in 19 years) I was awake in an ughten I was observing photographers mounting their high tech, high-powered cameras in front of Cambodia's Angkor Wat.  They were waiting to capture sunrise there. Here's wondering if I could stand the cold in a Stonehenge ughten.

 Sunrise over Stonehenge on the summer solstice, 21 June 2005 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

15 comments:

  1. I just learned a new word! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew that word before and frankly, I'd be rather upset at having to be up at that time! lol

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb shots, very nice variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting word. there is a word in one of the local dialects here that sounds like "ughten"---the translation is entirely different. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that word, and that shot.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every week I learn one or two new words. How do we pronounce this word? Nevermind!
    Your photos are excellent and very beautiful!
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How UTTERLY inspiring. Beautiful shots and great language lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous shots and what a great U word. I wasn't familiar with it. Carver ABC-Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. A new word and a delightful photo of that morning twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear friend,
    I have never used that word before. Thank you. Great pictures also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. came via Roger's blog re Unions. I am rejoicing. I was at a teachers' workshop when a teacher came in to tell the good news.

    Today, in New Zealand the union won, govt zero, they were going to cut teachers, cut technical classes, up class sizes, Union got all the teachers, and parents to protest. The minister withdrew. Ya!!!!

    Power to the people. Sometimes we need Unions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have to wake up early to watch it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...