Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas presents

In this post: Booking Through Thursday and Thursday Thirteen

"Any books you’re particularly hoping to be gifted this year? Any that you’re giving as presents this holiday season?"
Perhaps any book about Christmas that I have never read before like Angels at the Table: a Shirley, Goodness and Mercy Christmas Story by Debbie Macomber. I have never been gifted any book, let alone a Christmas book, as an adult. It seems I'm the one giving books, but I don't mind that. I can always go down a bookstore and buy myself something and it will be fun. What I really want to present the kiddo with is The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado. In a previous BTT post, I mentioned that one of my books, Dan Brown's Digital Fortress, was missing. The culprit was a niece and last time I checked via phone call (I have no qualms losing money on an expensive overseas call for my treasures) she hasn't returned it. If she still does not return it by Christmas day, the book is hers as a Christmas present.


Thursday 13: Christmas books I have never read and would like to read

~ Go left to right, top to bottom for info. Snippets are from Goodreads ~

1. A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote 
"Seven-year-old Buddy inaugurates the Christmas season by crying out to his cousin, Miss Sook Falk: "It's fruitcake weather!"
2. The Christmas Hope by Donna VanLiere 
"a story of love in the face of loss, joy when all seems hopeless, and how light can shine into the darkest places."
3. A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, Trina Schart Hyman 
Included in this book are five Dylan Thomas poems-- "Fern Hill, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, In the White Giants Thigh, Ballad of the Long-legged Bait, and Ceremony After a Fire Raid."
4. Christmas Letters by Debbie Macomber
 "love means accepting your differences."
5. The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum 
"Have you heard of the great Forest of Burzee? Nurse used to sing of it when I was a child..."
6. The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey  
"a moving tale of the spirit and generosity all people hold in their hearts, especially during the holidays."
7. A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas  
"a trip to Victorian London, under the mistletoe, and on a journey of the heart."
8. The Christmas Promise by Donna VanLiere 
 "a story about how a promise from one person to another shows us the true meaning of faith, remembrance, and love."
9. O Little Town: A Novel by Don Reid 
"Spanning three generations, O Little Town is a tender tale of love and redemption, and a lonely gravesite where roses mysteriously appear every Christmas."
10. The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson 
 "a timely yet gentle reminder that God can work miracles through something as seemingly insignificant as a little brown dog."
11. A Simple Amish Christmas by Vanetta Chapman 
 "She returns home and finds herself face-to-face with a budding romance with an Amish farmer and important choices to make."
12. A Christmas Wedding by James Patterson 
 "a fresh look at family and the magic of the season."
13. Remembering Christmas by Dan Walsh 
"the little bookstore and its quirky patrons--as well as the lovely young woman who works at his side each day--work their magic on him, revealing to Rick the truth about his family, his own life, and the true meaning of Christmas."

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but then I've never been a big "Seasonal" reader. But if/when you do read them, you'll need to share some reviews, eh?

    Happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, Hazel. I don't believe I've read any of those either. I love James Patterson, so I'll definitely look that one up. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas books. I've collected them since I was young. Every year my mom gives my sisters and me a new Christmas book. This year it was The Sparkle Box. Such a sweet story about service. I have The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, which is good and Remembering Christmas was one of my discoveries last year. I loved it! If you want a really sweet Christmas book, try Peef the Christmas Bear. My boys' favorite.

    2 Kids and Tired Books BTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know James Patterson wrote a Christmas book. Neat!! I hope you get some books for Christmas to enjoy.


    Check out my BTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of some of these Christmas books, a great selection.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/booking-through-thursday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read the Donna VanLiere books. I'd also recommend A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg as a holiday read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice list of Christmas reads.

    http://thecharacterconnection.blogspot.com/2012/12/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful list indeed.

    Have a great rest of your day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2012/12/cencus-dept-data-on-the-holiday-season-2012/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...