Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sense and Sensibility: 200th anniversary

In 1811 Thomas Egerton of Whitehall, London published Sense and Sensibility. Quick math shows it has been two centuries since Jane Austen became a full-fledged author.

Quite an anniversary, indeed. A celebration, I declare.

Blogs regarding the publication anniversary of this romance novel picture Jane Austen's engagements whilst making the final touches of her manuscript from Sloane Street. In letters to her sister Cassandra, Jane gave accounts of her shopping for muslin, the party that their brother Henry and SIL Eliza gave; mentioned several acquaintances, and referred to her book as S and S.

As a fan I wonder which between sense and sensibility did JA deem more important since she portrayed both attributes equally well. I'm obliged to enthuse over my S & S reading experience. Alas, I only managed fourteen chapters before getting sidetracked by another novel, the very first that JA wrote. I will resume and complete my affair with the celebrant before 2011 ends.

This post is linked with ABC Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. never read the book, but I've SEEN the movie. quite entertaining.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I have your passion in reading hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read P & P but never got around to this one, even though it's on my bookshelf. Must do some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't say anything, never read the book or saw the film !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading that book. Great choice for S.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...